Peek Inside the Minds of Famous Authors
By Annette Rey
Writers work hard and need a break. Let’s have some fun with a writer’s related word game of some thought-provoking quotes. One statement on the list was said by an author’s main character. Two of the statements were said by one author.
The authors are: Dashiell Hammett, William Faulkner, Edgar Allen Poe, Agatha Christie, Mark Twain, and James Thurber
Answers at the end – no peeking!
1) I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind.
2) Imagination is a good servant and a bad master
3) An author values a compliment even when it comes from a source of doubtful competency.
4) Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.
5) Don’t get it right; just get it written.
6) I feel like a wet seed wild in the hot blind earth.
7) I have not killed anyone. They will not let me.
Just a bit of interesting trivia – Have you ever wondered about the unusualness of Dashiell Hammett’s name? Dashiell was the maiden name of his mother. I read somewhere that he didn’t like it having been given him. And that is strange because his real first name was Samuel, yet he chose to go by Dashiell. He served in both WWI and WWII and is buried in Arlington Cemetery.